02 August 2013

Two quick ones

I'm not sure I can fully get on board with this month's Session, hosted by James of Beer Bar Band. The topic is Your Elevator Pitch For Beer and there's a bit of a convoluted set-up:
You walk into an elevator and hit the button for your destination level. Already in the elevator is someone holding a beer…and it’s a beer that annoys you because, in your view, it represents all that is bad with the current state of beer.
You can’t help but say something, so you confront your lift passenger with the reason why their beer choice is bad.
30 seconds is all you have to sell your pitch for better beer, before the lift reaches the destination floor. 
I can't see myself doing that. There's nothing anyone could be drinking that would make me challenge them in a confined space. I just don't care enough about what other people choose to drink. If it looks like they're enjoying it then best leave them to it say I.

But let's roll with the conceit a little. I'm not stepping in to the lift empty-handed. Somehow I've wandered in on my way back from the bar of Against the Grain. Two glasses and 30 seconds. Push the button, there.

They’re both from Brewfist in Lombardy: the golden one on my right is a pilsner called Czech Norris. I know, hilarious. They haven’t quite got the Czech bit down, I reckon: it’s a bit hot and syrupy and the big waxy bitter hop hit doesn't really compensate. Oh, it’s supposed to be an imperial pils. 6.7% ABV. Well that explains it. I’d pass, to be honest.

The darker amber one is Caterpillar, a pale ale. A bit fizzy so I might just leave it to flatten slightly. Tastes good though: a simple refreshing blend of sherbet and orange pith. 5.8% ABV is a bit on the strong side for what you get, however. Plenty of Irish brewers are bringing things like this in at much lower percentages without compromising the flavour.

Either of these take your fancy? No? Well, the bar’s back that way if you want to try something different. What have you got to lose?

3 comments:

  1. its getting to the point where there's no need for most brewers to be exporting to us because we can get plenty of fresher, better beers brewed locally.

    (though thats not going to stop me wasting money on zany mikkeller or US beers for the fun of it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! I like to mix up the countries of origin of beers on this blog but I'm finding it increasingly difficult because so much of the new stuff I'm drinking is from the UK. Great beer, fresh, and usually better priced than more distant imports.

      Delete
  2. British beer's always been great though, it's not new!

    ReplyDelete