07 September 2009

Bit of a thickie

I'm off to Amsterdam in the morning, for a couple of days of mid-week beering, centred around the opening of the BeerTemple American theme bar.

An American beer to send me off: an acknowledged classic which I'd never had before and wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly wasn't prepared for how thick Anchor Porter is. It gloops out of the bottle and folds up in the glass, leaving a dark tan head and giving off aromas which promise imminent caramel and chocolate.

And on tasting it's that amazing texture that strikes home first. You really need to take a solid pull on it to get a mouthful. Wrapping around the chewy molasses flavours there's a fabulous liquorice spice, rounded off with a dry, ever-so-slightly metallic edge. It's not exactly what I'd call a complex beer, but what flavours are there are really quite beautiful and it's definitely the most interesting porter I've had in a long time.

This is an immensely satisfying beer to drink and one which would make the ideal companion on a winter's night. I'll be having more in the coming months.

10 comments:

  1. Love that beer, managed to try it on draught in the rake back in March

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it'll be on draught in Beer Temple on Wednesday. Did I happen to mention I'm going to the opening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep and we want loads of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been meaning to try this for a while, and now I really want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my faves, glad you like. When I was a beer newbie all those years ago, I bought this in a bar simply because I had enjoyed the comparatively bland Anchor Steam so much back then. I didnt even really know what porter was, but I couldn't put into words what world was opened before me when i drank the porter. Lovely, and I still hold a candle to this day! Never had it on draught, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing stuff. I drank a number bottles over the last few weeks but didn't do a wrtie up because I feared yet another post on how great American Dark beer is would sicken more than a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live to sicken. Say, did I mention I'm going to the opening of Beer Temple?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "did I mention I'm going to the opening of Beer Temple?"

    No, do tell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, sorry, Oblivious: I meant to say. I'm going to the opening of Beer Temple tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of those great beers that I take for granted and don't drink enough of.

    ReplyDelete