26 September 2018

Real Mexico

Variety in Mexican beer is hard come by in Dublin these days. I guess it's C&C's fault. They're the distributor for Grupo Modelo, via the various arrangements with AB InBev, and they seem to have decided to concentrate on Corona and Corona Light in this segment, for obvious reasons.

Therefore I was disproportionately pleased when I spotted Pacifico in the fridge at Pablo Picante on Aston Quay. I mean, it's only a mass produced hot-country lager and nothing to get excited about, but I still felt like I'd achieved something by locating it.

The burrito bar does not run to glassware so I didn't get a look at the liquid, or a proper smell, really. I found it quite sweet to taste: lots of melanoidin malt, which I guess shows its Viennese heritage. It's good that that's still perceptible after everything this brand has been through since 1900. A tinny twang is all you get by way of hops, or anything else, but the malt is enough. While easy drinking and quenching, as you'd expect, it's also heavy enough to match up to a glutinous cheesy burrito.

This isn't a beer to be dismissed readily, and certainly not to be lumped in with Corona.

4 comments:

  1. I think Pacifico is a great lager and it is priced right too, here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly seems to have a proper fanbase for such a mainstream beer.

      Delete
  2. A local independent Mexican restaurant stocks Negro Modelo and I'm sure I've seen it floating around other spots too, if infrequently. The burrito bar I frequent just carries Corona and Five Lamps lager and I have to confess there is *no* contest; hands down Corona every time, clean and corny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen Negro Modelo in ages up here.

      Delete