06 February 2019

Barcelager

The Barcelona Beer Company's range has been quietly chugging along on the shelves in these parts for a couple of years now. On a recent trip to Stephen Street News I noticed that there was one in the line-up I'd never had before so I used it to fill out a 4-for-€10 basket.

Santa Rita is a lager. I was expecting sunny Mediterranean refreshment so was surprised to find it pouring hazy, with almost a witbier-like yellow cast to it. That theme continues in the flavour: there's a spritzy lemon taste, a yeast-derived spice and some odd, but pleasant, tea-like tannins.

It's quite tasty, but not the crisp and clean lager I was prepared for. I'd say it still works as a summery thirst-quencher, however. The tannins give it the feel of a dry English bitter, a perfectly acceptable alternative on a warm day.

No comments:

Post a Comment