15 May 2019

Peanuts and Cracker Jack

Baseball season was ending as I was packing up to leave Toronto last September. I'm guessing that's the reason Left Field Brewery's Sunlight Park grapefruit saison was in the discount basket near the till at the LCBO. While I was in shopping for rucksack-fillers I picked up a can, took it home, threw it in the fridge and forgot about it. With the new season well under way, time to take it out and see what gives.

It's a clear and pale beastie, briefly forming a head before that disappears. The grapefruit is strong in the aroma, concentrated and syrupy. This is less sweet on tasting, which ends up coming across a little too much like washing up liquid. There's a level of Belgian spice, but more like a witbier than a saison: peppery and a little soapy too. 5.3% ABV gives it heft and heat.

It's fine, I guess, and I can see it working as a summer season sports beer. There's just enough complexity to keep it interesting though it's not really up there with Belgium's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment