26 January 2023

My kinda haze craze

A surprise Christmas present was a Rothaus beer I'd never had before: Schwarzwald Zäpfle Naturtrüb, the unfiltered version of their flagship lager. The brewery has quite a cult following but I've never really seen the particular attraction of it: lots of breweries do traditional German styles very well.

I'm making a stand-out point for this one, however. Yes I have tasted unfiltered German lager very like it before, but always in Germany and on draught. Rothaus appears to have mastered the art of bottling the wholesome freshness and shipping it abroad. It's the hazy yellow of a witbier and that's probably the reason I got fresh zesty lemon as the first flavour. Behind it there's crisp cracker and sweeter fruit: apricot and melon. It's bright and sunny in a way that German lager normally isn't.

They call these "fir cones" when packaged in 33cl because of the bottle shape. I've seen nothing to indicate whether or not this exists in larger measures but it absolutely should.

No comments:

Post a Comment