10 March 2023

Pump and dump

These two Jolly Pumpkin beers came my way via the bargain bin of Craft Central. I figured that an extended period of ageing would do these particular styles no harm.

First up is Blanca, ostensibly a classic witbier at 4.8% ABV but aged in, or more likely on, oak. It had been in the can for fifteen months before opening. There's no mention of mixed fermentation on the label, beyond the anodyne word "farmhouse" but it is extremely sour, to the point where there's nothing resembling witbier left. The aroma is sharp and flinty with a dash of vinegar. Fortunately the flavour is a lot more subtle, at least after one's palate adjusts, a few mouthfuls in. There's a toasty champagne effect with hints of juicy white grape around the edge. Only the sour intensity spins that more towards cheapie prosecco than fine French fizz. Though not funky as such, there's an aftershave spice which I'm assigning to some of the bugs and gives it a fun added dimension. Overall, I liked it, and the only oddity is that it's nothing like a witbier. I wonder if this is something that changed as it aged?

The strength leaps up to 8% ABV for Oro. Golden ale is the base style here, with "wild artisan" prefixed to it. It's fairly similar in appearance to the other one -- a hazy pale sunset colour. The aroma is calmer, with mild incense spices but no vinegar this time. Extra strength doesn't give it much extra body, and while it feels a little rounder it's still quite light and fizzy. Spice and pepper are promised on the label but I don't get much of that in the flavour, maybe just a hint of aftershave exotics. Up front, it's fruity, in quite an estery Belgian way. I get pears in particular, with some banana and melon thrown in -- quite a fruit salad. It's OK, and if it was the first time I'd tried something like this I would probably be impressed. But I've had too many magnificent barrel aged golden ales and saisons for this one to rank highly. It does at least hide the booze well, with no heat or nail varnish notes. I'm glad I didn't pay full whack though.

Two interesting beers, then. Nothing to rave over, but I feel I got my €8's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment