28 June 2023

The red with the green

It was a surprise to find Reel Deel's Mayo Red in a local off licence. We don't really see much from the Crossmolina microbrewery over here, more's the pity. The beer has been around for ages and this was the first time it crossed my path, so even though I don't usually go to bat for reds there was no question of letting this one get away. 

Independently brewed examples which are weaker than the 3.7% ABV archetype are extremely rare, but here we have a mere 3.5%. Still, it doesn't look watery, being a dark copper shade, and slightly murky with an off-white head. The texture is light but not thin: in my hypervigilant state I was on the lookout for flaws but I would never have known it's the strength it is.

And it goes on to match the style's other attributes very well. The aroma deftly balances softly sweet caramel with dry coffee roast, plus a fruitier hint of apple. The initial hit on tasting is fizzy, but it settles and turns surprisingly creamy. To the toffee and coffee, the flavour adds a little chocolate and a tang of crunchy green veg.

I don't know if Marcus the brewer-patron is a fan of red ale, but this comes across to me as a carefully thought-out example, drawing in all the important elements and ensuring they each get a say. Myself, I won't be rushing back for a second bottle but I commend it to those who complain that Ireland lacks a sufficient range of quality red and brown beers.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:34 am

    Agreed a fine example of Irish mild ale.
    Oscar

    ReplyDelete