13 December 2023

Oldies but goodies?

I often go rummaging in the virtual bargain bin at Craft Central. There's a lot of freshness-required beers in there, which I avoid, but when something is strong and dark and looks good value I'll throw it into the basket.

Today's first beer comes from Polish brewer Stu Mostów, and is a black double IPA called American Uncle. It's certainly black, with an uneven ivory-white head on top. The aroma sparks with fresh lemon and grapefruit, very much like an old west coaster, even including a toffee sweetness. It's a weighty fellow, needing to be drawn past the teeth, with a texture of syrup and custard. The density makes it lose its sharp aspect, and instead it's creamy, with warm dark chocolate notes ahead of the candied citrus middle and dank finish. For 8% ABV it's very approachable: soft and smooth, with no pointy edges. I think I prefer a black IPA with more of an invigorating hop sharpness, but I found little to dislike in this cuddly soft number. 

So the extended ageing didn't do that one any harm. I expected something similar from Destination Unknown, a scotch ale from Siren, in collaboration with Fierce, at 9% ABV. The label tells us it's a hybrid of Shattered Dream with Cranach Killer, neither of which I've had. It's a murky red colour, and smells both sweet and sour, a lot like the Chinese sauce of the same name: vinegar, syrup, tomato and chilli peppers. The flavour is very sour and rather funky up front, like the bolder sort of Flanders red. There's none of the Highland toffee or red liquorice candy that one might expect from a beer like this. Instead I get balsamic vinegar, lime juice and redcurrant jelly. It's all a bit severe, and hasn't mellowed in the two months since the can passed its best-before. And I don't think it's my own fault for leaving it so long: I find if difficult to believe there was ever a rich and smooth beer in here.

Black IPA wins again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment