At the outset of this series, I hadn't realised that each pair would include one pale ale and one something else. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising, statistically speaking. For the penultimate couple, we look north-westwards, to Lough Gill.Bright Eyed alleges it's a "bright IPA" but I don't know what it means by that, because it's far from clear: a hazy pale yellow colour. Bright rather than dark, maybe? Anyway, it's 6.6% ABV and uses Citra, Southern Cross and Dulcita hops. I don't know the other two very well, but the Citra is out in force, blasting lemon and lime in the aroma and bringing a softer lemonade tang to the flavour. The texture is light and the carbonation low making for a very easy drinker, and I had to consciously slow down to appreciate the hops properly. On balance it's bitter, but there's a shaft of sunlight shining through it as well, bringing zest and even a hint of tropicality. That could be what they mean by "bright". All told, it's another excellent hop-forward Lough Gill beer, and I'm sure is best enjoyed fresh, so snap it up if you see it.
And for pudding, a Peachy Sundae. I had forgotten how good Lough Gill is at this sort of thing too. Yes, it's fruit flavoured and 7% ABV, and it contains lactose and invokes a vanilla-ish dessert, but it's actually sour. In the glass it's a dark carrot-orange colour, but it doesn't gloop, and the head crackles briefly before disappearing. The body is thin, without being watery, and there's very little sign of the alcohol. There's very little sign of the peach, for that matter, only a very broad icepop-esque summer-fruit tang. I'll note here that no fruit or flavouring is listed on the ingredients but I assume that's an oversight. The main act is a deliciously hard and acidic sourness, scouring the palate and tickling the salivary glands, the way proper mixed-fermentation beer does. This may even be one. I'm guessing the sizeable strength is created by voracious yeast, rather than simply loading up the wort with excessive amounts of sugar. I had no choice but to take it slowly, and as it warmed I began to detect a hint of sweeter, creamier vanilla lactose, but it never came close to matching the main tart tang. This is a beaut, and I commend it to anyone who might be put off by thinking from the name that it isn't proper beer.Any guesses as to the last brewery of the sequence? We're not moving far.
No comments:
Post a Comment