29 December 2007

A la maud

What will probably be the last beer of the year is another of my winter Canadians: Maudite from Unibroue. It's an interesting mix of the Belgian golden ale and the typical bière de garde. The former comes through in the rich, powerful and spicy flavour, the soft texture and also the mandatory demons on the label. The latter lends a dark amber colour, opaque as the yeast goes in at the end of the 75cl bottle, and also a lovely sweet and malty character.

Maudite is a magnificent beer, and the perfect send-off for what has been a busy year on this blog, and in the beer blogging world in general. I'm away now for my annual New Year jaunt. Christmas has left me with enough new beers to keep me in entries for the first couple of weeks of 2008. Looking forward to getting stuck into that.

6 comments:

  1. Wish I had access to what you are drinking. Like the blog. I'm a beer nut also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm uncharacteristically lucky with the Unibroue stuff: an otherwise-inauspicious supermarket in central Dublin seems to be importing them directly. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the hows and whys in case it stops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've had a bad one from Unibroue. Particularly love Maudite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great one Beer Nut. Glad to have found this blog. I look forward to reading more of your exploits in the new year.

    SheyMouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Beer Nut, see you in a pub somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unibroue got a fine selection of beers. I've been working for the Cirque Du Soleil when they came to my city and I "met" those beers in the welcoming party. La fin du Monde, Maudite and Troi Pistoles are really great beers.Eau Bendite is not of my like, though.

    Happy of coming across this blog, great job/passion hehehe.Keep being nut....at least about beer.Cheers and Sursum Corda

    ReplyDelete