02 November 2011

Schneid comments

Cynical wife says the only reason I like this is because I shelled out a lot of money for it. Cynical wife is cynical.

The fact is I do actually like Schneider Tap X: Mein Nelson Sauvin, even though I paid all of €11 for the 75cl bottle. And yes, I do take her point that weissbier yeast doesn't play well with the other children, but it doesn't dominate the flavour profile completely. While it's clearly a weizen from tip to toe, I also get a gorgeous dry and toasty champagne-like flavour. As it warms, more of the sweet grape notes come out from the Nelson Sauvin hops.

But, she's right, there's no escaping from the weissbier yeast taste. However there's nothing so simple as banana and cloves. Instead, expect a sort of herbal spice: fennel, nutmeg and that kind of thing, all buoyed up on a hefty 7.3% ABV.

I do, in all honesty, really like this beer, and reckon I got my 90 minutes of joy out of it. Most of all I look forward to what the experiments at Georg Schneider & Sohn yield next.

9 comments:

  1. Definately interested in trying this one; I'd have bought it too, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon 11 euros is a fair enough price for a massive bottle...just compare it to wine prices for instance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's worth it I reckon. I missed out on getting my hands on one though... missed the beoir thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know I'm at least as rational as you, Leigh.

    Steve, yeah, but it's only like half the alcohol. I could get two bottles of Buckfast for this.

    Reuben, at the weekend there was a bottle still unclaimed behind the Bull & Castle bar. I don't know if we're past the statute of limitations yet, but Geoff might be glad to be rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course it was good value for money: it has a little card hanging round the neck on a piece of string, for goodness sake!

    (Ayinger Bock is worth the price for the little plastic goat alone.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is, that's very true.

    However, I offer you Estrella Inédit by way of refutation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you dump all the yeast in to the glass...? I picked up a bottle the other day (£11.49) and am wondering if I should treat it like any other wheat beer and dump it all in...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did, eventually. It was in two separate pours since it was a 75cl bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, I might have mine tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete