23 January 2012

Proper Charlie

I don't know what the arbiters of beer style would class Gouden Carolus Ambrio as. It pours murky red-brown, like a dubbel, but at 8% ABV is more of a tripel strength. I get dark boozy sugars and sour tangy yeast on the nose, calling to mind Belgian confections like McChouffe and Delirium Nocturnum.

The flavour is quite muted for all that aroma. Raisins and figs are the loudest but it's not much more than a polite whisper, really. Dry fizz and water are more the hallmarks than malt, hops or yeast. It's a shame because the high alcohol provides a lovely base to propel some fantastic flavours, but they're just not there in this.

I've yet to find a beer from this brewer that tops Hopsinjoor.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:24 pm

    Haven't tried the Ambrio yet,doesn't sound too promising though.Their Tripel is an excellent example,right up there with Westmalle(in my humble opinion).I always make sure I've at least one bottle of Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) for around Christmas time,definitely a sipper but fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete