24 April 2019

Black Seoul

They don't sell themselves short, the Koreans. I got an immediate smile from the name of the Amazing Brewing Company of Seoul, via this can of Shocking Stout, kindly gifted by Padraig. Shocking in a good way, I hope.

It was a little explodey on opening, leaving a sticky and fruity-smelling residue on my fingers and furniture. Once in the glass that clarifies to a Black Forest gateau aroma of dark cherries and darker chocolate, the appearance a uniform obsidian black with a café crème head. Between that and the 8.5% ABV I was expecting thickness and density but it's actually quite light-bodied. The jammy forest fruit is still there in the flavour, as is the chocolate, but it's joined by an espresso roast and a whiskey-like heat, even though it hasn't been near a barrel, as far as I'm aware. It departs the palate quickly, though leaves a pleasing residue of cherry skins.

I was impressed. It's well-made, nicely complex, satisfying to drink, and well beyond the run-of-the-mill for imperial stouts. When they go for something in Korea they don't bother with half measures, I've found, and this beer is a neat illustration of that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment