26 June 2019

Blinded by the light

Leicht ("light") weisse is a standard German beer style, though one of the ones that the world at large hasn't been rushing to appropriate. I hadn't thought much about it until I spotted an example on the shelves at Redmond's and decided to give it a go.

I was expecting Unertl Leichte Weisse to be pale, but it's not, proving the almost-tan colour of a super-traditional weissbier like Schneider. The lightness is in the ABV, only 2.9%, and that has resulted in something tasting almost non-alcoholic. It has the sugary wort flavour of an N/A weiss, yet somehow manages also to be thin and hollow. I'm genuinely confused as to whether this is under- or over- attenuated. Either way, it's not fun.

Just drink a smaller glass of full-fat weisse and you'll have a better time than with a whole half litre of this. I genuinely can't think of of a use case for it. All the brewers who have decided not to make one are spot on.

4 comments:

  1. Unertl's regular weisse was the only beer in the Bull and Castle's fridge that I couldn't stomach, always had a burnt, plasticy taste to me.

    Will know to avoid this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to go look up my review. Seems I liked it on draught in 2009.

      Delete
  2. Many people in Bavaria regard weissbier, especially the leichte and alcohol-free versions, an an isotonic drink to be enjoyed after sport. I imagine that is the use case. A 30cl glass isn't going to do the job when you’re thirsty. (I was also once told that weissbier has less alcohol than pils, even though in fact it typically has slightly more. Dunno how widely held this odd belief is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely scope for a Things Bavarians Believe blog. I've certainly heard some howlers.

      Delete