07 June 2019

Three beers from 100 bridges

All going well, by the time this is published I'll be in Wrocław. It's the home of the Stu Mostów brewery, which has become a regular fixture at the Galway Bay pubs in Dublin. I thought I'd better get my notes on their range up before I have a bucketful of other Polish beers to tell you about.

At the January tap-takeover in The Black Sheep I gravitated straight to Salamander Black IPA, a beer style I try to encourage where possible. This was a good example, redolent with spices and herbs, with liquorice in particular, alongside peppery red cabbage. The dry roast bitterness is perhaps a little higher than I'd like, especially given the quite thick and sticky consistency, and the prodigious 6.8% ABV. Overall, though, it had enough complexity of flavour to prevent any of the extremes from dominating completely.

I followed that with WRCLW Pils. This is a beautiful example, showing the kind of creaminess normally only found in the finest German pilsners. It's packed with bitterness too, offering loads of spinach, as well as a certain level of diacetyl which adds a richness rather than being an off-flavour. This is a wonderful harnessing of all that makes good pilsner great.

A short while later I was in Against the Grain where WRCLW Imperial Stout was pouring. The tap badge says it's nitrogenated but it really didn't look it: just a thin skim of ivory bubbles which faded to nothing very quickly. The body is jet black and there's plenty of density, fitting for its 11% ABV. The flavour was too sweet for my liking, however: lots of banana esters, plus sugary toffee and milky coffee. There's a modest bitter herbal kick in the finish but it's not hard enough to bring the rest of it to heel. A big slice of banoffee with a liquorice chew on the side? I'll pass.

The forecast for the coming weekend in Wrocław is a warm one. If I have to stay to drinking pils that won't be a hardship on this showing.

1 comment: