20 January 2021

Strictly for the birds

I suppose I may throw one token post in the direction of this month and its customary abstemiousness. I have long been a fan of the Hitachino Nest beers from Kiuchi Brewery, and this 0.3% ABV one caught my eye recently. It's a ginger beer with added yuzu fruit, called Yuzu Ginger Non Ale.

It's a deep amber colour in the glass, with just a very faint misting of haze. The aroma gave little away, though I thought I could detect a pinch of dry ginger. The ingredients include hops and yeast, so it is a beer beer, but it tastes like one of those ginger beers that are cultured rather than brewed. For one thing it's as thin as a ginger ale mixer, and brimming with sugar, even though that's not a separate ingredient. I can't say I picked up on the yuzu -- there's no bitterness to speak of -- but the ginger is there, in a sweet and candied way, rather than spicy.

This isn't really a substitute for real beer if you're not drinking. It's a bit of a fun novelty, and might work well in the summertime, over ice with a slice of lime. Otherwise there are better beerier alternatives out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment