03 February 2021

Nuts to that

Peanuts in beer. It's a phenomenon that seems to have come from nowhere in recent months and this is the third one to come my way since December. This one is called Peanut Butter Milk Stout, from milk stout maestros Left Hand.

It smells intriguing, and not really of peanut butter, though that's not something I eat much of. Instead I get chocolate wafers and caramel, with a pinch of salt. A further surprise arrives on tasting: strawberry, raspberry and a little peach juice, before we're back to milk chocolate and crisp wafer. It's a strange and random combination, but it works. And despite the sweetness, the busyness and 6.2% ABV, it's remarkably easy to drink.

As daft novelty beers go, this is one of the better ones. I guess it's Left Hand's skills with milk stout shining through. Give it a go. At €2.50 a can, what could go wrong?

5 comments:

  1. Beanstalk9:41 pm

    I've had two of these recently. One tasted and smelled intensely of peanut butter - the whole room smelled of it. It was like liquid reese's peanut butter cup. The other one was as you say above - very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the first can had been shaken and not fully settled. It certainly sounds absolutely disgusting! I avoid peanut butter (except on toast) and milk, so I'm never going to find out for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. About time. ;=)}
    I have a 6-pack of 12-oz. cans of this in the beer cellar downstairs at the abode. It cost $9.99. It will be the next packaged beer to come up.
    I like the taste of peanut butter. There are (plastic) jars of peanut butter (also bought @ Aldi) in the kitchen cabinet here. I have had numerous peanut butter candy selections (What with Reese's so vastly available.) So, when I taste the Left Hand, I'll attune to the taste of wafers and caramel.
    If you want to term this a “novelty” beer; it is your beer weblog. !=O} I'll gladly accept the remainder of what you did not prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. The six-pack came upstairs.
    What is the 'Best By' date on the packaging (or the can)? Mine is 3 October 2021.
    Does it have the Brewers' Association's "Certified Independent Craft" logo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, Steve. It's over three months since I drank it.

      Delete