28 July 2021

The old reliables

I'm determined not to become one of those beer drinkers who know what they like and like what they know and don't mind telling you about it, repeatedly. This blog has always prided itself on the variety of beer described within, covering everything and anything, because it's always at least interesting (to me). So it's with no small pang of guilt that I find myself passing over a lot of what's on the market at the moment, from UK and US breweries in particular. Endless hazy IPAs in eye-catching cans at eye-watering prices. I try to buy the occasional one but have found myself feeling less and less inclined. None of them come with the promise that this will be good, this will be worth it.

And so, conversely, I am continuously cheered up by new releases from breweries I know and trust. Three more from Odell? Yes please!

First up is a golden ale called Kindling. It's only 5% ABV so maybe the Duvel glass was overkill. It does look similar: a clear gold with a faint misting of floaty bits. The flavour opens on quite an intense sweet fruit vibe: lychees in syrup, tinned peaches and cheap brown apple juice. I get no bitterness to speak of, just a dry waxiness that speaks more of honey than hops. Thankfully the whole thing finishes quickly and crisply, like a lager. This is undemanding summer drinking, and great value at €2.50 a can. There are some interesting complexities to unpick but it's too light to really impress with them. It was one and done for me.

Only a slight bump in strength for the next one, and a step sideways stylewise, for the 5.1% ABV blonde ale Peach Stand Rambler. Surely if it's standing it can't be rambling? Makes no sense. Regardless, it's another clean looker and definitely smells of peaches: fresh and luscious with background notes of honey and lemonade. That made me think it was going to be sticky, but it's not. There's just enough weight to carry the fruit flavour but no more than that. Said flavour is the peaches again, and more the skin than the flesh, with an edge of bitterness to it. There's a fade-out of apple and breadcrust, rendering it extra refreshing. This is a lovely example of doing fruit-infused beer in a clean and understated way that doesn't gum up the palate with syrup or jangle the nerves with sugar. Just the sort of quality I come to Odell for.

Something a bit more exciting to conclude, then. Solarized is a yuzu double IPA, the first I've found, I believe. It's an opaque deep yellow colour and smells pleasingly juicy, of both real citrus fruits and fresh hops on a New England setting. The flavour dovetails perfectly with this: creamy, sweet and tangy tropical fruit with a delicate lacing of bitterness on the finish. A big fluffy texture comes with that, and there's a soft warmth too, entirely befitting the 8.2% ABV. It's a gentle and friendly sort of double IPA, showing lots of complexity but accessible at the same time.

Absolutely no regrets, then, about choosing these over spendier beers where I'm less certain of the quality. As long as they still have new wares for me to try I remain a very happy Odell customer.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm determined not to become one of those beer drinkers who know what they like and like what they know and don't mind telling you about it, repeatedly. This blog has always prided itself on the variety of beer described within, covering everything and anything"

    Your mission statement innit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All the beer that's fit to drink. And all the other beer too."

      Delete