09 March 2022

Shmoke?

I should stop being so amazed when breweries I know from abroad show up in the fridges of Irish off licences. It's great that we have the variety, and that more local drinkers and brewers get exposed to fun stuff without having to leave their quaffing chairs.

Today's fun stuff is from Dutch brewer Moersleutel. Their record with me isn't perfect, but they are one of the companies I gravitate towards when I see them on a menu, especially when the offer is strong and dark. Octane Overlord is very much strong and dark, being an imperial stout of 12% ABV featuring both smoked and peated malt.

It's an extremely dense black colour and has a serious bonfire aroma with more than a suggestion of peaty phenols, so there's been no light touch on that maltsack. The density and strength does a great job of balancing things, reducing the smoke to a firm but gentle seasoning; present and enjoyable without dominating. The core of the profile is dark roast for a coffee and charcoal dryness, set next to slick caramel and chocolate. All the good stuff about big stout, packed in and dusted with smoke. I wholeheartedly approve.

This is the sort of thing that gets me picking Moersleutel when I see it, in whatever context or country.

No comments:

Post a Comment