28 July 2023

Jersey, sure

Craft Central offers regular flurries of brightly coloured American tins at exceedingly high prices, largely made up of hazy IPAs in the way that beer these days generally is. I have little interest and usually scroll on past, but... maybe I should be checking in now and again to see if there's value to be had. These, presumably, are the beers that everyone else around the world is copying, right? OK, I've convinced me. Here's two IPAs from the less obscenely priced end of the spectrum, both from New Jersey, a lonely state, lacking a New Guernsey or New Sark to keep it company.

Brew Jersey: there's a dead clever pun. This is from Twin Elephant in Chatham. It's 7.4% ABV, hopped with Citra, Azacca, Nelson Sauvin and Mackinac -- the latter is new to me but the others are good 'uns. It presents pale yellow and opaque, something I generally take as a good sign. The can says it's "mindfully brewed" though not mindfully packaged as there's no brewing, canning or best-by date on it. Still, it smells and tastes fresh, mostly of tinned pineapple in both instances. There's a mildy leafy bitterness in the background of the taste which is presumably the Citra trying to make itself heard, but otherwise it's smooth and rather anodyne, presenting no challenges or off-flavours, but few points of interest too. It's a casual sort of conversation beer, something I'd normally be fine with, but I'd like a bit more of a firework display for €8 a can.

6.9% ABV and labelled "west coast style India Pale Ale", When The Haze Clears, by Icarus, cost me €8.85. It's not clear, looking a dirty, slightly muddy, orange in the glass. The blurb talks a good game on the hops: Columbus, Centennial, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and Strata all feature. Nevertheless it smells sweet and artificially floral, like Skittles. So far not very west coastish. The flavour has a lot of that but there's also lots of oily weedy resins, with the pilsner grass of classic Kiwi hops butting upside the sweets. It's far from a classically clean west coast IPA, though nor is it juicy or garlicky haze. More than anything, this reminds me of drinking IPA in Poland or Spain, where they're not hung up on copying the Americans directly and introduce their own... idiosyncrasies... in their recipes, some of which work and some of which definitely don't. In the US, beer normally tastes exactly how you expect it to; this doesn't. Maybe it's an east coast satire on west coast; Jersey busting California's balls. Regardless, I appreciated that it's boldly flavoured but didn't really enjoy the rather messy overall picture.

Am I convinced of the value of high-end American cans? On this showing definitely not. But I'll check in again some time when the urge has built sufficiently.

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to see that there aren't any comments. I noticed the article via Stan's email. These prices certainly hurt for what sounds like a very lackluster pair. I am the wrong New England resident to make a "nice" comment about NEPA or hazy beers. However, many very nice beers are being brewed and sold in those cans in New England. Around here people love the "Captain's Daughter" by Grey Sail, but I am more likely to try to find something like Wormtown "Be Hoppy" or "Liquid Sip of Sunshine" or "Little sip of sunshine" by Lawson's (though might be dome under contract at Two Roads brewing who also have nice beers in fun cans). None of those are likely available, or less than 18 Euros per four 16oz. Cans in the UK. (As they are that price in USD.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the UK would kick you out if you tried to pay for anything in euros these days.

      Delete
    2. Sure, we were there prebrexit last time and still all sterling (unless you use card). Looks like Euros to my uneducated eyes in your post, so, my apologies for misreading. Best luck on finding American craft in the UK, should you chose to overpay for mediocre keg beer. I'm jealous that I cannot get nice draught beers here from the UK.

      Delete
    3. Really not sure why you think I live in the UK :D

      Delete
    4. Because I am confused easily enough, posting in between other items and blogs. Sorry to waste your time. Best wishes still on finding a beer in a flashy can. I'd apologize again, but you know, just an ignorant guy, wondering why people don't respond to comments of good beer bloggers, or why people think that the thrill is gone.

      Delete