12 August 2020

Virtual Belgium

I've not been one for recreating at home or online the things I used to enjoy but can't currently do. I'll appreciate them all the more when they return for real. I have, however, found that distinctive-tasting Belgian beer brings me on an imaginary excursion to the Low Countries every time I drink it. I've begun serving it with cubes of cheese and celery salt on the side, to help the trip along.

Today's beer, St Bernardus Extra 4 was a bit of a surprise when I saw it on the off licence shelves. The St Bernardus range is very commonplace in Belgium and has been sold here for years, but I had never before noticed this particular one. Obviously I snapped it up and had it ready for my next virtual holiday.

It's a mere 4.8% ABV and pours pale and hazy, like a witbier. The aroma and flavour are very much those of a Belgian blonde ale, however, with overtones of tripel. It smells like fresh white bread dipped in honey while the flavour combines a gentle citrus pithiness with peach and honeydew esters, finishing on a hard wax bitterness. The body is very full and it could easily pass for something much stronger. Above all, it tastes extremely Belgian and is a perfect accompaniment to imaginary travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment