14 February 2024

Heart of ice

Not every day, but I like an eisbock now and again. I tend to see the method as a means for making big imperial stouts even more warming and sippable. Frosty is the first ever one from Polish brewery Funky Fluid, and is derived not from a stout but a weizenbock.

It's a striking mahogany colour, and seemed a little thin as it poured, despite the substantial 12% ABV. The wheat side is very prominent in the flavour, offering a dry and crisp cereal quality. It's not as rich as I was hoping for, the crispness extending to the mouthfeel as well. There's a layer of chocolate wafer and quite a punchy green vegetal bitterness, presumably from the concentrated noble hops. A little fruity raisin and plum arrives at the end. The alcohol heat is represented in the cough-syrup aroma, but not really in the taste.

This isn't the eisbock I wanted. I'm sure it's closer to many a German original, but it's not the sort I'm used to from Dutch and Danish breweries. It's pointy and difficult, not smooth and warming. I hope they'll be making adjustments if they brew a second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment