21 February 2024

Some bang off that

Sierra Nevada's Hop Bullet double IPA featured on this blog in 2018 and didn't impress me much. Solely to get my attention, they've released a supposedly improved version with an even more macho name: Hop Bullet Magnum Edition. *swoon* Go on, then.

The ABV gets a boost to 9.5%, up from 8%, though it's still clear and orange coloured. Orange is still the flavour also: jelly, marmalade, that sort of deal. Sweet and tangy, not zesty or bitter. Given the strength I thought there would be more heat but it's quite a calm fellow, pretty much as drinkable as any normal American IPA. Magnum is best known as a bittering hop, but the flavour here offers more than just bitterness, including plenty of citrus fruit as well. While it's perfectly passable, it's not the kick in the head I thought I was going to get. 

I don't think this varies a great deal from the original. It's predominantly sweet and not terribly complex, but fine for what it is. The reason I'm more positively disposed towards it is that the can only cost me €2.50 in my local supermarket. For that, it's pretty good value.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 pm

    Shall look forward to trying this Turbo GTI Edition. Like you the original didn't bowl me over, however it wasn't bad either, looking back on my review it was a 3.5/5.0, lacking in complexity and bitterness. But I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada and they're one of those breweries that I am always happy to have a stash of in the beer fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty reliable for most hop-forward things, and generally very reasonably priced here. I always pick up their new stuff when I see it.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:52 pm

      Yeah same here, very reasonably priced in Germany as well and not too difficult to find, particularly online. They must be one of the very few large breweries still using only whole cone hops, I like that about them. Also I think that they're pretty solid across the whole style spectrum.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:24 am

    The original Hop Bullet was my go to for pint size cans here in the US, then they discontinued it. Now my go to is Big Little Thing. Both great beers at less than $4 a ~pint.

    ReplyDelete